Vote for us in The Ethnicity Awards!
Making Equals - Building Cohesive Communities through Sport
What is Making Equals?
The Sporting Equals 'Making Equals' project works to engage and attract diverse young people through sport. The project helps build empathy between different communities, particularly focusing on breaking down barriers across race, faith and disability. The project works to identify local commonalities, educate and empower young people to make a difference locally.
The young people who are recruited to be part of the project will be:
1. Inspired to make a difference to their local community
2. Role models and agents of social change
3. Involved in local decision making with a platform to share their opinion
4. Champions of inclusive societies
To achieve the above outcomes participants will:
- Be engaged in sport and physical activity with the associated benefits of skills development and personal fitness.
- Be recruited because of an interest in gaining new life skills including knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity.
- Be empowered to promote social cohesion.
- Become decision makers involved in local common issues and have skills to interact with local agencies for support. (Have the opportunity to resolve issues and drive local change within the community. Joint selection, Steering Group
The project has been delivered in Bradford and Burnley and a new pilot in now being launched in Croydon. Working with partner agenices the objective is to provide participants with key skills and knowledge to improve social cohesion within communities and expand life opportunities.
Who is eligible?
- You must be 16-25 year old
- You must be able to commit to four workshops and engage in consultations
- You must be committed to making a difference
Where is Making Equals taking place?
The initial pilot will be delivered in Croydon and will take place in July (dates tbc).
How do I apply?
If you are interested in becoming involved in this unique project please contact Sporting Equals on 0121 7771375 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Further Information is available through the following link:
Sporting Equals hope to build on the success of the Making Equals project once the delivery model is established. Our aim is to engage diverse communities across cities to foster engagement between young people, tackling unconcisous bias and improving social cohesion.
Further details about the Making Equals model and project are availalble through email@example.com
Future Female Leaders
Sporting Equals is looking for 35 women to take part in a free coaching...
We at Sporting Equals have been working to further support our sector and wider...
Sporting Equals Race Discrimination Support Service
The Sporting Equals Race Discrimination Support Service is a collaboration...
Race Equality Event
Annual 'Race Equality: State of the Sector' event #SERaceEqualityEvent
Sporting Equals works to build a fairer, healthier and stronger society. Our...
Breaking Boundaries is a programme (2018 -2022) funded by Spirit of 2012 that...
Sport Monitoring Advisory Panel
Sport Monitoring Advisory Panel (SMAP)
Sporting Equals are working alongside Youth Sport Trust with the help of MHCLG...
Equally Active was developed partnership with LMCT to tackle low participation...
Faith Centre Model
Sporting Equals are working with mosques, temples, gurdwaras, churches...
Tennis Serves Project
Sporting Equals have been working in partnership with the Tennis Foundation to...
The Making Equals project works to engage and attract diverse young people...