Vote for us in The Ethnicity Awards!
RFU -Independent member of the Council Nominations Committee
|Hours of Work|
|Salary & Benefits|
|Closing Date||05 Aug|
Independent member of the Council Nominations Committee
We have a vacancy arising for an independent member to work with the Council Nominations Committee effective from September 2022. The appointment will be for an initial period of 3 years with a further term of 3 years being available after the first term, subject to agreement of all parties. This is a completely open process as we seek to increase the diversity of all of our committees.
The Council Nominations Committee (the “Committee”) is a committee of the RFU Council, responsible for making recommendations for the appointment of Council Elected Directors, the Presidential Team, members of committees and subcommittees and other roles. The Committee is made up of 5 Council members, plus one independent member.
The role will suit someone with a HR background or someone who has been involved in the nominations process in other organisations. Further details are contained within the Person Specification attached.
The Committee meets several times throughout the season with the absolute number of meetings being dictated by what roles require appointments and how many applicants there are for any certain role. The meetings will be a mixture of face to face, especially where interviews for senior roles are required, and online. The independent member will be required to commit to a minimum of 10 meetings during the season.
This is a voluntary role for which the successful applicant will be paid expenses as incurred and also invited with one other guest to one England match per season, including hospitality.
Applications should consist of your CV, together with an email explaining why you wish to undertake the role and what qualities and experience you will bring to the Committee. The closing date for applications is Friday August 5th, 2022 with interviews to be undertaken in the week commencing 29th August 2022.
Nature and Scope:
The Council Nominations Committee (the “Committee”) is a committee of the RFU Council, responsible for making recommendations for the appointment of Council Elected Directors, the Presidential Team, members of committees and subcommittees and other roles.
The Committee is made up of Council members, plus one independent member.
1. To work with other members of the Committee to deliver its Terms of Reference.
2. To build and develop relationships with key stakeholders (whether members of the RFU Council, RFU Executive Staff members or other volunteers) who will assist with the work of the Committee.
3. To bring diversity of thought, and an outside perspective to the work of the Committee, and act as a robust check and challenge to existing ways of working.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have a blend of the following qualifications and experience, likely with some areas stronger than others:
• Experience of nominations committees in other organisations, and/or experience of recruitment to a range of roles, including at a senior level.
• An understanding of best practice in nominations processes, including skills matrices and interviews.
• An understanding of the operation of sports bodies.
• Experience of meetings involving a range of stakeholders, including volunteers.
Skills and Personal Attributes
Strong influencing and persuasion skills, including the ability to persuade stakeholders to understand and accept a view which may not accord with their existing views and experience.
• The ability to present to a range of different stakeholders, including to the RFU Council.
• Committed, loyal and highly trustworthy and someone who demonstrates the values of the RFU.
• Confidence to offer opinion in a clear, constructive and respectful way and to question respectfully and listen to fellow volunteers and staff members.
• Integrity, good judgment and independence of mind.