Vote for us in The Ethnicity Awards!
Premiership Rugby - Sports Science and Medicine Research Lead
|Hours of Work||Full-time – Permanent (3 days per week to be office based)|
|Salary & Benefits||Competitive Basic Salary + Benefits + Company Bonus Scheme|
|Closing Date||05 Aug|
Reporting to the Head of Science and Medical Operations, the Sports Science and Medicine Research Lead will have operational accountability for the planning, implementation and day-to-day management of vital research projects across the areas of player welfare, player development and performance. The successful applicant will play a pivotal role in translating real-world research findings and recommendations into practice to improve operating standards across the competition with the aim of optimising the health and performance of Premiership players and teams.
Your ability to communicate and critically evaluate the latest developments in research and technology in a clear and concise manner will directly influence the evidenced-based decisions that Premiership Rugby will look to make to ensure it is the most innovative and respected league in world rugby. This role will be at the forefront of utilising the latest technologies to improve player welfare and optimise performance.
· Support the Head of Science and Medical Operations in the development of a clear and concise professional game research strategy for the next 5 years that aligns with the broader Premiership Rugby business strategy
· Become Premiership Rugby's research lead on a number of existing and new professional game research projects that focused on primary, secondary and tertiary injury prevention including the new league-wide roll-out of instrumented mouthguards, the evaluation of a new Graduated Return to Play (GRTP) concussion assessment and the Professional Rugby Injury Surveillance Project (PRISP)
· Collect and analyse league-wide feedback on research needs and requirements via club visits, surveys and focus groups. Drive engagement at club level with key league-wide research projects
· Review, summarise and communicate the latest scientific literature across key work streams to internal and external stakeholders to support evidenced-based decision making from both a policy and operational perspective.
· Contribute to the development and validation of wearable technology and the broader data insights strategy within Premiership Rugby
· Guide Premiership Rugby on new technologies and innovation to support decision making with regards to future investment and the long-term enhancement of player welfare and performance.
· Represent Premiership Rugby on a number of research steering groups and professional game advisory groups
· Work with Premiership Rugby's Communications Director to establish an impactful communications plan with respect to player welfare, player development and performance research activity across the professional game. Communicate scientific concepts and player welfare initiatives clearly to a range of media outlets
· Work with the Premiership Rugby Sports Science and Medicine Operations Manager to organise and deliver a new annual rugby research conference day
· Work with Premiership Rugby's Head of Player Development to review and develop research projects and processes within Premiership Academies with respect to player welfare and development.
· Provide research advice and support to clubs with regards to undertaking their own research and ensure that all research activity at Premiership Rugby and Premiership clubs aligns with the broader Premiership strategy
· Support the wider research needs of the business, advising on research methodologies with respect to commercial and fan engagement where appropriate. There will also be opportunities to support non-research focused projects and initiatives across the business which will help the successful applicant develop a broader understanding of professional sports administration.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
· A related post-graduate qualification in sports science or field allied to medicine is essential. PhD highly desirable.
· Previous experience of planning and leading research in one or more of the following areas would be advantageous.
o Injury epidemiology
o Injury prevention
o Sports related concussion
o Wearable technology
· Strong project management experience, successfully leading and delivering complex multi-stakeholder research projects
· A successful track record of delivering/managing research projects within elite sporting environments and translating outcomes into practice
· Adept with a range of statistical analysis and data visualisation tools and software
· Previous experience of distilling and presenting complex scientific information in a timely, clear and compelling manner across all levels of an organisation.
· Experience of communicating scientific concepts to external stakeholders and media is desirable
· Proven ability to engage collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
· Proven problem solver
· Excellent organisational skills
· Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
· Multi-tasker with strong organisational and project management skills
· A team player who is also self-reliant and able to act on your own initiative
· Ethical and hard-working with a strong personal commitment to deliver at pace
· Works well under pressure adapting to tight deadlines and differing demands
· Possesses good judgement and behavioural maturity
Please send a copy of your CV accompanied by a Cover Letter (no more than one A4 page) which details your current salary package and your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Interview Date||15th – 18th August 2022|