Organisation Swim Wales
Location Swim Wales Wales National Pool Swansea Sketty Lane Swansea Swansea SA2 8QG
Hours of Work 1 day per month
Salary & Benefits Voluntary (reasonable expenses will be paid)
Closing Date 31 May
Swim Wales is the National Governing Body for all 66 of the registered Aquatic Sports in Wales. Its purpose is to create and govern a safe environment for the delivery of all aquatic activities across the nation, and determine how such activities will be implemented internationally, nationally, regionally and locally.
Swim Wales Vision
A world leading National Governing Body delivering excellence, inspiring our nation to enjoy, participate, learn and compete in Welsh aquatics.
We are a company limited by guarantee and all Board Members are Directors of the company. At an exciting time for Swim Wales, we are currently seeking three new Board members to join us.
Role Title: Non-Executive Director
Time Commitment: Approximately 1 day per month. There are six board meetings per year and board members may be asked to represent the organisation at other relevant meetings and events.
Remuneration: The position is voluntary and all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
Location: Flexible, although the majority of meetings are held in Cardiff, by phone or video conference. The Swim Wales office is located at the Sport Village, Wales National Pool, Swansea.
Employees: The Swim Wales team is spread geographically with 50% of the staff office based, they are led by our Chief Executive who is based in the NGB head office.
- Setting the organisation's vision, values, mission and strategic direction
- Delegating appropriate authority to the Chief Executive, and monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategy and agreed objectives
- Ensuring that internal controls are effective
- Ensuring that communications both to and from members are effective
- Creating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with stakeholders
- Provide direction and support to the staff team, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation
In relation to the board
- Ensure Swim Wales pursues its core purpose as set out in the Articles as well as meeting its obligations under company law and other relevant legislation/regulations
- Contribute to the formulation of Swim Wales strategic plans and put in place regular reviews of the long-term strategic goals
- Ensure Swim Wales' organisational structure and capability, including the resources available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy
- Develop organisational policies, define goals, set targets and evaluate performance against these
- Ensure Swim Wales implements good practice in respect of governance and leadership
- Create a strong and fulfilling working relationship with other Directors and the Chief Executive Officer
- Participate in a review and self-reflective evaluation of board performance
In relation to the organisation
- Assume guardianship of the legal and financial integrity of Swim Wales as required under the Companies Act (2006)
- Set risk appetite and oversee risk strategy
- Provide constructive support and guidance to the Chief Executive, in the context of the implementation of strategy and policies
- Receive regular progress reports of Swim Wales' work and financial performance through the Chief Executive
- Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation.
In relation to SWIM WALES stakeholders and the sport sector
- Represent Swim Wales, championing the organisation and its members at appropriate events, meetings or functions
- Build strong and dynamic relationships with Swim Wales' members, understanding their diverse needs and uniting their voices
- Actively promote the benefits of sport and recreation for people in Wales
- Establish, nurture and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders including Sport Wales, Welsh Government, Chief Executive Officers' Forum and Wales Council for Voluntary Action, the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales?
- Attend and be a member of other committees or working groups as appropriate.
No files available
Return to Vacancies