Organisation Welsh Triathlon
Location Board Meetings are held in Cardiff (however attendance can be via digital platform when required)
Hours of Work Approximately 2 days per month
Salary & Benefits Voluntary (with expenses)
Closing Date 30 January
Welsh Triathlon is one of the three Home Nations of the British Triathlon Federation. The three Home Nation Associations (the other two being Triathlon Scotland and Triathlon England) are responsible for all aspects of triathlon in their respective countries and contribute to the work of British Triathlon.
Welsh Triathlon is a fast -growing sport gaining in popularity and profile both Nationally and Internationally. In order to achieve its vision Welsh Triathlon is seeking to appoint four Non-Executive Directors who will broaden the skills base and diversity of the Board and support the next stages of growth of this dynamic organisation.
Welsh Triathlon is particularly seeking applicants with skills in the following areas:
* Business and Commercial
* Information Technology /Digital
* Policy and Compliance
Welsh Triathlon is committed to equality of opportunity for all and applications from any suitably qualified persons are encouraged. Details of our Equal and Diversity Policy can be found on our website: http://www.welshtriathlon.org/ under 'Resources' and then 'Policy Documents'.
* Setting the organisation's mission, vision, values and strategy
* Delegating appropriate authority to the Chief Executive, and monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategy and agreed objectives
* Ensuring that internal controls are effective
* Creating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with stakeholders
* Provide direction and support for staff members and volunteers, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation.
* Providing mentoring and support to relevant staff members
In relation to the board:
* Ensure Welsh Triathlon pursues its core purpose, as set out in the Articles, as well as meeting its obligations under company law and other relevant legislation/regulations
* Ensure Welsh Triathlon's organisational structure and capability, including the resource available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy
* Develop organisational policies, and monitor progress
* Create a strong and fulfilling working relationship with the other directors
* Assume guardianship of the legal and financial integrity of Welsh Triathlon, as required under the Companies Act 2006
* Set risk appetite and oversee risk strategy
* Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation
* Carry out regular evaluation of board performance
* Ensure compliance with relevant governance requirements, including implementation of the Governance and Leadership Framework for Wales.
* Represent Welsh Triathlon, championing the organisation and its members at appropriate events, meetings or functions
* Build strong and dynamic relationships with Welsh Triathlon's members, understanding their diverse needs and uniting their voices
* Actively promote the diverse social and health benefits of Welsh Triathlon
* Establish, nurture and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders including Sport Wales.
* Acting as an Ambassador for the Sport of Triathlon both within Wales and the whole of Britain.
Welsh Triathlon welcomes applications from individuals who could be considered independent from the sport of triathlon, but who can contribute essential business skills and an outside perspective to the Board
The successful candidate will be a strong leader who recognises how sport and physical activity contributes to society and the health and wellbeing of individuals.
Previous board experience is not essential but would be desirable. However, applications from candidates who have not previously served in a board role but who can demonstrate the skills and competencies necessary to contribute to Welsh Triathlon are welcomed.
Knowledge of triathlon is not an essential requirement for the role.
* Demonstrates robust, collaborative leadership
Has demonstrable experience in building and leading diverse teams, and uniting teams around shared aims and values.
* Experience in developing organisations
Demonstrable experience in supporting the establishment and growth of developing organisations
* Thorough understanding of and ability to implement good governance
Knowledge of the principles of good governance, and how these can be applied to sport to achieve optimum performance in governing bodies; in particular the structures and procedures required for decision-making, accountability and transparency and managing conflicts of interest.
* Awareness and understanding of board responsibilities in a small business
Has a strong understanding of the role of the board, and the board's responsibilities with regard to governance, financial management, risk management and public accountability.
* Ability to influence across the sporting landscape (Desirable, not essential)
Understands the sporting landscape and has the knowledge and ability to build strong relationships and navigate sporting, political and commercial environments
* Excellent Communication Skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communicates plans and activities in a way that promotes understanding and buy-in from others, and supports Welsh Triathlon's strategy
* Organisation and effective planning
Shows an ability to organise and plan work on behalf of self and others; establishing efficient and appropriate plan of action for the Board in line with agreed actions and strategies
* Ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders
Understands the importance of building effective relationships, and demonstrates an ability to develop and maintain strong, collaborative professional relationships with a range of stakeholders.
Open to change, and capable of adapting plans and behaviour to account for changes to circumstance or new information. Reacts rapidly to new situations or unexpected obstacles warranting attention.
* Can operate comfortably in different cultural situations
Understands the importance of personal and organisational values, and demonstrates an ability to adapt to different situations and circumstances
* Independence and objectivity
Demonstrates a clear ability to operate with an independent and objective mindset in the best interests of Welsh Triathlon, including during board discussion and interactions with stakeholders.
The deadline for applications is 30th January, midday and interviews will take place shortly afterwards with the CEO and Chair of the Board on 2nd/3rd February. Please submit a CV with supporting covering letter which demonstrates specifically your suitability for any of these four roles. Please submit via email to email@example.com
Please ensure that you expressly state the skills that you would bring to Triathlon and identify your preferred area of interest i.e. – Communications, Marketing, Business and Commercial etc.
Should you require assistance with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make every effort to meet your requirements.
For an informal and confidential discussion about the role please contact Paul Tanner, Chairman of the Board of Welsh Triathlon, email; email@example.comNo files available