Organisation Sporting Equals
Location Birmingham International
Hours of Work
Salary & Benefits circa £40,00-45,000 full time
Closing Date 29 April
Director of Operations c £40,000 - £45,000, (depending on experience working at a senior level) Birmingham, Fixed term contract until 31 March 2019 (with the possibility of extension) 25 days annual leave + bank holidays, contributory pension scheme
Sporting Equals a national charity are seeking a senior professional to be accountable on its regulatory and operational governance requirements and managing and leading service and business operations across the organisation to mitigate risk.
The candidate must have previous extensive experience of operating at senior level in all avenues of business performance management, risk management compliance and HR.
The Director of Operations will report to the Chief Executive and will be accountable for all governance and risk management and will be responsible for managing and leading service and business operations across the organisation and will have wide ranging responsibilities, including dealing with all day to day aspects of HR working closely with outsourced HR services.
The Director of Operations will also represent the organisation on a non-exclusive basis at a senior level both internally and externally and will at all times uphold the values of the organisation as set by the Board of Trustees and the organisation as a whole. He or she will be expected to become an integral part of the senior management team with accountability for governance and HR matters, and supporting the Board and subcommittees.
Purpose of the Job – Organisational Governance:
Ø Accountable for the Compliance & Risk Management function with responsibility for the design, development, implementation and maintenance of the Risk Management Framework, and an effective compliance strategy, infrastructure and associated policies in light of the new Sport England Governance Code
Ø Accountable for owning, monitoring and implementing the independent risk management review process, raising any issues with CEO and Audit Committee (including a strategy of how these will be resolved)
Ø Responsible for promoting an appropriate Compliance & Risk culture across the organisation through clear strategy, communication and engagement, ensuring Sport England's Code of Governance is embedded across the business and in all strategic activities and that this is part of the organisation's Compliance Function
Ø Accountable for ensuring a proactive approach is taken to the identification of risks – including advising on the risks associated with new business, change initiatives and their impact on company strategy, and regulatory and compliance risks, their communication to the business and mitigation
Ø Responsible for the identification formulation and maintenance of risk reduction, tolerances and limits, having regard to the strategy and business plans and the risk/return profile of the business and assisting and supporting the board and sub-committees in this process
Ø Supporting and developing Trustees including regular board evaluation to ensure governance compliance and risk management
Ø Responsible for ensuring the overall governance, risk and compliance (GRC) frameworks are integrated into the organisational structure and in the decision-making processes of the charity and that systems are in place to monitor regulatory developments, and assessing their relevance to the business
Ø Responsible for working in conjunction with the senior management team to develop and deliver compliance training initiatives to embed the risk management culture throughout the charity working with all levels of staff to ensure the charity is legally compliant in aspects of health and safety, GDPR compliance, etc
Ø Responsible for leading and managing the compliance monitoring programme and on-going review of the Compliance Manual and Policies and Procedures to alleviate risk and ensure compliance with the changing regulatory landscape and continually improve upon the compliance programme
Ø Accountable for conducting on-going compliance and risk reviews particularly for finance (including ensuring money laundering and countering terrorist financing and anti-bribery and corruption systems and controls are adequate) and HR and escalating issues to the CEO and Trustees of the Board, (including a strategy of how these will be resolved). In addition, providing reports to the Board on a quarterly basis
Ø Responsible for monitoring and evaluation of all projects, working closely with internal teams, e.g., KPIs and outputs agreed with funders and clients and putting measures in place to quickly resolve issues as they are identified, highlighting any risks to the CEO (including a strategy of how these will be resolved)
Purpose of the Job – HR and Finance Operational Leadership
Ø Responsible for providing the Board and senior management with expert guidance, support, lead on all HR matters including, providing staff line management and HR support, working closely with outsourced HR services
Ø Responsible for setting a process for recruitment, selection, retention and development of staff, Trustees and volunteers
Ø Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services, whether via internal teams or via external service providers (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions
Ø Accountable for overseeing and implementing high-level strategic compliance roadmaps to coordinate the approach to regulatory changes
Ø Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
Ø Work with external financial service providers to assist with financial management, planning, systems and controls.
Ø Accountable for reviewing and negotiating supplier contracts
Ø Accountable for working with the project teams in the development and management of individual programme budgets.
These Key tasks/Duties are indicative of the role and not intended to be exhaustive
1. Lead in the development and monitoring of quality assurance systems and owning and developing a process for reviewing managing and monitoring of risk management systems.
2. Ensuring key performance indicators are in place (including all projects), monitored evaluated and reported.
3. Supporting and developing Trustees including regular board evaluation and review to ensure governance compliance and risk management
4. Ensuring that adequate and appropriate governance processes are in place to provide assurance to stakeholder funders: Sport England and other partner or funding agencies.
5. Develop robust analysis and reporting performance frameworks to determine service changes that will increase the level of satisfaction for funders and service users, in line with the organisation's high values.
6. Development and implementation of change plans, including internal and external communications, structure, and related technical issues and managing such processes for external events.
7. Producing, developing and reviewing policies and procedures relating to internal and external process, to ensure effective governance of the whole organisation and that the organisation meets all legislative and regulatory requirements.
8. Managing the HR function working closely with the outsourced HR services provider, managing contract reviews, appraisals, TOIL, sickness records and leave issues.
9. Managing the organisation's Pensions scheme in liaison with the external provider.
10. Recruitment and management of service staff and resources to achieve required service levels, quality and cost performance
11. Assist CEO in Identifying skills gaps in the organisation and assisting in the development of workforce strategy and plan, including undertaking recruitment or training programmes to address this and competency and performance management frameworks to meet the operational requirements of the organisation as required by the CEO
12. Working closely with Directors, staff and external stakeholders to build strong relationships
13. Working with the Chief Executive to set budgets for the organisation for operating a meaningful compliance function for the organisation
14. Working with external financial service providers to manage budgets, costs and efficiencies in line with accounting and legal practices.
15. Monitoring contract performance and ensuring contractual and regulatory (funding) compliance.
16. Production, implementation and management of operational work plans and budgets
17. Manage the organisation's databases, website interface and other social media platforms.
18. To undertake other duties relevant to the scope and level of this post.
To apply, please contact our administration team for a full application pack on 0121 7771375 or email email@example.com
We will not accept CVs in lieu of applications.
For an informal discussion about this post please contact Arun Kang, CEO on 0121 7771375.
Closing Date: 29h April 2018No files available