Sporting Equals latest case study - Somali Women
Sporting Equals teamed up with Tennis foundation to promote inclusion & engage Somalian women & girls (underrepresented and disadvantaged group).
The Dery Foundation is a charitable organisation which provides advice, support including tackling extremism, education and learning to the Somali community who are affected by linguistic and cultural barriers.
- Traditional club settings restricted this community with barriers around faith, timings and provision especially for parents with young children.
- Women in particular needed more accessible options in local settings.
- Groups from this community were becoming more frequently disengaged with mainstream provision & lack of opportunities to engage with physical activity.
- Tennis has provided a good diversionary activity & a tailored local offer.
- Activator training allowed community volunteers to provide a flexible tennis offer at any time and in any setting to meet the needs of their community.
- Visibility of the sessions in local parks has encouraged further involvement from the local communities.
- The project addressed barriers for Somali women & girls, increasing their engagement with tennis.
- Weekly sessions have enabled the community to adapt an active & healthier lifestyle.
“The tennis equipment & training has been a brilliant tool to engage families. Families who had previously never spoken to each other before now are interacting through tennis”
Shukri Mohammed, Dery Foundation
- Consult the community & understand the cultural norms of your audience.
- Create Role Models by offering training & advice.
- Offer provision in local community based settings.
- Support & encourage communities to take ownership to enable sustainability.
CEO Statement: Racism in the Sport Sector
Our CEO - Arun Kang OBE reflects on the initial findings of our racism in sport...
CEO Sporting Equals Statement: Equality of Opportunity in the Sport Sector
Our CEO Arun Kang OBE, explores the lack of equality of opportunity in the...
CEO Arun Kang OBE Statement on Intersectionality
Given our recent statement for 20% BAME leadership targets in sport. We wanted...
Densign White Statement on BAME Leadership in Sport
We speak to Densign White - Former Chair British Judo, Chair Sporting Equals...
Arun Kang OBE Statement on BAME Leadership in Sport
Our CEO Arun Kang OBE reflects on the persistent issue of racial bias and...
Sporting Equals Statement: Public Health England report Disparities in the risk and outcomes from COVID-19
Breaking Boundaries Slough With Aarushe Singh
We speak to Breaking Boundaries Community Champion Aarushe Singh who reflects...
Dina Asher-Smith Wins British Army Sportswoman of the Year 2020 at the British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards
We speak to British Army following Dina Asher-Smith winning the British Army...
Khalsa Football Federation & Panjab FA Win Sport England Community Sports Project BEDSA 2020
We speak to Sport England following Khalsa Football Federation & Panjab FA's...
Update on Coronavirus: BEDSA 2020
Ahead of Saturday's BEDSA event we have clear guidelines and advice on how we...
Coronavirus - Advice From the Sector
An overview on how to approach Coronavirus when looking towards both local and...
Sporting Equals British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards 2020 Finalists VOTE NOW!
As we get closer to our 6th annual Sporting Equals British Ethnic Diversity...