Sporting Equals latest case study - Somali Women
Sporting Equals teamed up with Tennis foundation to promote inclusion & engage Somalian women & girls (underrepresented and disadvantaged group).
The Dery Foundation is a charitable organisation which provides advice, support including tackling extremism, education and learning to the Somali community who are affected by linguistic and cultural barriers.
- Traditional club settings restricted this community with barriers around faith, timings and provision especially for parents with young children.
- Women in particular needed more accessible options in local settings.
- Groups from this community were becoming more frequently disengaged with mainstream provision & lack of opportunities to engage with physical activity.
- Tennis has provided a good diversionary activity & a tailored local offer.
- Activator training allowed community volunteers to provide a flexible tennis offer at any time and in any setting to meet the needs of their community.
- Visibility of the sessions in local parks has encouraged further involvement from the local communities.
- The project addressed barriers for Somali women & girls, increasing their engagement with tennis.
- Weekly sessions have enabled the community to adapt an active & healthier lifestyle.
“The tennis equipment & training has been a brilliant tool to engage families. Families who had previously never spoken to each other before now are interacting through tennis”
Shukri Mohammed, Dery Foundation
- Consult the community & understand the cultural norms of your audience.
- Create Role Models by offering training & advice.
- Offer provision in local community based settings.
- Support & encourage communities to take ownership to enable sustainability.
Jit shares his thoughts on working on the Slough Breaking Boundaries programme in 2020
Jit shares his thoughts on working on the Slough Breaking Boundaries programme...
Physical Activity Levels Disparity Identified Within Young People and Children from Ethnically Diverse Communities
The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted the activity levels of...
We catch up with Lauren Mudd to hear about her first year as the Breaking Boundaries Bradford Community Coordinator
Lauren reflects on her first year as part of the Bradford Breaking Boundaries...
Usman Khan looks back on the 2020 Breaking Boundaries programme through his perspective as the Birmingham Activator
We look back on the 2020 Breaking Boundaries programme with Birmingham...
Sporting Equals Terminology Resource
Sporting Equals launches Terminology Resource to further our recent work on...
CEO Arun Kang OBE Statement: Uniting The Movement Sport England 10-Year Strategy Review
Our CEO Arun Kang OBE, reviews the new Sport England 10-Year strategy: Uniting...
My first year as the Manchester Community Coordinator - James Badrock
Manchester Community Champion, James Badrock was keen to tell us about his...
Reflecting on 2020 Breaking Boundaries in Barking & Dagenham with Samir Sawhney
We sat down with Samir, our Barking & Dagenham Activator to get his take on...
Looking back at 2020 Breaking Boundaries programme in Slough with Billy Cousins
2020 from the perspective of Billy Cousins, Slough Breaking Boundaries...
Reflecting on Bradford Breaking Boundaries programme 2020 with Activator Talish Butt
We looked back at Bradford Breaking Boundaries programme 2020 with our Bradford...
Reflecting on Breaking Boundaries 2020 with Chandni Paul
We sat down with our Birmingham City Coordinator Chandni Paul to reflect on her...
Sporting Equals Active Lives May 2019/20