Sporting Equals latest case study - Somali Women
Sporting Equals teamed up with Tennis foundation to promote inclusion & engage Somalian women & girls (underrepresented and disadvantaged group).
The Dery Foundation is a charitable organisation which provides advice, support including tackling extremism, education and learning to the Somali community who are affected by linguistic and cultural barriers.
- Traditional club settings restricted this community with barriers around faith, timings and provision especially for parents with young children.
- Women in particular needed more accessible options in local settings.
- Groups from this community were becoming more frequently disengaged with mainstream provision & lack of opportunities to engage with physical activity.
- Tennis has provided a good diversionary activity & a tailored local offer.
- Activator training allowed community volunteers to provide a flexible tennis offer at any time and in any setting to meet the needs of their community.
- Visibility of the sessions in local parks has encouraged further involvement from the local communities.
- The project addressed barriers for Somali women & girls, increasing their engagement with tennis.
- Weekly sessions have enabled the community to adapt an active & healthier lifestyle.
“The tennis equipment & training has been a brilliant tool to engage families. Families who had previously never spoken to each other before now are interacting through tennis”
Shukri Mohammed, Dery Foundation
- Consult the community & understand the cultural norms of your audience.
- Create Role Models by offering training & advice.
- Offer provision in local community based settings.
- Support & encourage communities to take ownership to enable sustainability.
British Sport United in Gratitude
Sporting Equals shed some light on the upcoming 'Thank You Day' plans from the...
Introducing the new Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community Coordinator programme Matthew Youngson
We sit down with the new Community Coordinator for Manchester Matthew Youngson
Introducing our new Sporting Equals Activator for Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries programme Janine Palm
We sit down with Janine Palm the new Sporting Equals Activator for the Barking...
Introducing our new Sporting Equals Activator for Bradford Breaking Boundaries programme Taj Butt
Introducing our New Sporting Equals Activator Taj Butt, for the Bradford...
Introducing our New Sporting Equals Activator for Birmingham Breaking Boundaries - Juliet Bertie
We sit down with Juliet Bertie the new Sporting Equals Activator for the...
COVID-19 pandemic significantly increases physical activity disparities amongst ethnically diverse communities
Sporting Equals Impact Report 2020-2021
Links to all versions of the Sporting Equals Impact Report 2020-2021
A look back on 2020 with Omair Shah, Al Madina Mosque, a Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries community partner
Looking back on Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries delivery in 2020 with...
Ravinder Dharni, Bradford shares his thoughts on the Breaking Boundaries delivery in 2020
We hear this week from one of the Breaking Boundaries community partners...
Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries Community Coordinator Sam Bickmore looks back at delivery in 2020
A look back on Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries programme in 2020 with...
Sporting Equals Race Equality Event Links to Watch Back
Race Equality: State of the Sector, is Sporting Equals' annual event for those...
Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community partner Sri Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara
Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community partner Sri Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara...