Sporting Equals latest case study - Somali Women
Sporting Equals teamed up with Tennis foundation to promote inclusion & engage Somalian women & girls (underrepresented and disadvantaged group).
The Dery Foundation is a charitable organisation which provides advice, support including tackling extremism, education and learning to the Somali community who are affected by linguistic and cultural barriers.
- Traditional club settings restricted this community with barriers around faith, timings and provision especially for parents with young children.
- Women in particular needed more accessible options in local settings.
- Groups from this community were becoming more frequently disengaged with mainstream provision & lack of opportunities to engage with physical activity.
- Tennis has provided a good diversionary activity & a tailored local offer.
- Activator training allowed community volunteers to provide a flexible tennis offer at any time and in any setting to meet the needs of their community.
- Visibility of the sessions in local parks has encouraged further involvement from the local communities.
- The project addressed barriers for Somali women & girls, increasing their engagement with tennis.
- Weekly sessions have enabled the community to adapt an active & healthier lifestyle.
“The tennis equipment & training has been a brilliant tool to engage families. Families who had previously never spoken to each other before now are interacting through tennis”
Shukri Mohammed, Dery Foundation
- Consult the community & understand the cultural norms of your audience.
- Create Role Models by offering training & advice.
- Offer provision in local community based settings.
- Support & encourage communities to take ownership to enable sustainability.
Dina Asher-Smith Wins British Army Sportswoman of the Year 2020 at the British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards
We speak to British Army following Dina Asher-Smith winning the British Army...
Khalsa Football Federation & Panjab FA Win Sport England Community Sports Project BEDSA 2020
We speak to Sport England following Khalsa Football Federation & Panjab FA's...
Update on Coronavirus: BEDSA 2020
Ahead of Saturday's BEDSA event we have clear guidelines and advice on how we...
Coronavirus - Advice From the Sector
An overview on how to approach Coronavirus when looking towards both local and...
Sporting Equals British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards 2020 Finalists VOTE NOW!
As we get closer to our 6th annual Sporting Equals British Ethnic Diversity...
Sporting Equals Chief Executive Arun Kang awarded O.B.E for services to the development of BAME communities
As part of the Queen’s New Year Honour’s List, Arun Kang the Chief...
6th Annual Sporting Equals British Ethnic Diversity Awards Nominations Announced and Open
Organised by Sporting Equals, these annual Awards will be taking place on 14th...
Swim England and Sporting Equals Announce Partnership!
Swim England and Sporting Equals are to partner to help motivate more BAME...
What are the main political parties promising?
Ahead of the General Election, our Policy and Engagement Manager investigates...
Game On! - Sporting Equals partner with Scotland to shine a light on British Asian women in sport
Sporting Equals Promotes Race Equality Charter
We have promoted the Race Equality Charter today, we outline why this is needed...
BEDSA 2019 WINNERS
Congratulations to all of our BEDSA 2019 Winners ' A Dazzling Night'