Sporting Equals latest case study - Netball
Sports Key is a community interest group which aims to put provision in place for people from disadvantaged communities to excel in sport.
This project was successful in enabling inactive women predominately from BME Black and Minority Ethnic) backgrounds to become more active.
- 90% of women taking part were from BME backgrounds aged between 19-50 years of age
- Many women were beginners at netball, the majority had not engaged since their school years
- To ensure participants had the best introduction or re-introduction the coach identified a qualified England Netball coach, was able to relate to this community & positively interact
- Hesitant to join local clubs
- Use of local community spaces
- Low costs & low commitment
IMPACT: Project reached over 50 women and girls who were predominantly inactive and attended at least 1 session
30 women and girls were retained over the course of the sessions.
FUTURE PLANS: Feedback from participants highlighted longer session to 1 and ½ hour session was preferred
Sports Key aims to upskill a committed participant from the session & support them to qualify as a netball coach to sustain the delivery of sessions
- Taster sessions before the start of the project provides a good estimate of interest and possible attendances
- Marketing of sessions specific to complete beginners & those who haven't played for many years
- Key messages around 'Keep Fit' + 'Losing weight' worked well for this particular audience
- Open sessions to attend with friends & family - reinforced with a 'recommend a friend' offer where players received a free T-shirt
- Promotion through a range of social media outlets was positive & simple to interact with those attending
Breaking Boundaries Birmingham with Near Neighbours' Rabiyah Latif
We sat down with Rabiyah Latif from our Birmingham based Community Partner...
Sporting Equals BAME Terminology Survey Statement
Our statement highlighting the findings of our October survey into BAME...
Breaking Boundaries Manchester with Rob Tipping and Lancashire Cricket Foundation!
We sat down with Rob Tipping from our Manchester based Community Partner...
Breaking Boundaries Bradford with Community Champion Haseeb Siddique
We sat down with our Bradford Community Champion Haseeb Siddique as he spoke to...
Breaking Boundaries with Slough Cricket Club Women and Girls Cricket Festival
We sat down with Breaking Boundaries partner Slough Cricket Club's Rabbia...
Breaking Boundaries Birmingham with Unity Streets CIC and BBC West Midlands Million Step Challenge!
We speak to Chantelle Faure, Director of Unity Streets about how Birmingham...
Breaking Boundaries with Nana Kwame Ankomah and Muhammad Mailk TKO Boxing Barking and Dagenham
We speak to Nana Kwame Ankomah and Muhammad Malik our Barking and Dagenham...
Sporting Equals partner with Comic Relief and NET to support Ethnically Diverse Community organisations worst hit by Covid-19
Sporting Equals Partner with Sport England to support Tackling Inequalities Fund Distribution
Breaking Boundaries with Rob Deeks and Aik Saath
Today we speak to Rob Deeks from Breaking Boundaries' partner community...
Breaking Boundaries in Barking and Dagenham with Aidan Elmore!
We speak to Breaking Boundaries local Ambassador Aidan Elmore about the...
How Breaking Boundaries host Edgbaston Foundation has helped to #FeedBirmingham
Birmingham's Breaking Boundaries host, Edgbaston Foundation partnered with...