Sporting Equals latest case study - Netball
Sports Key is a community interest group which aims to put provision in place for people from disadvantaged communities to excel in sport.
This project was successful in enabling inactive women predominately from BME Black and Minority Ethnic) backgrounds to become more active.
- 90% of women taking part were from BME backgrounds aged between 19-50 years of age
- Many women were beginners at netball, the majority had not engaged since their school years
- To ensure participants had the best introduction or re-introduction the coach identified a qualified England Netball coach, was able to relate to this community & positively interact
- Hesitant to join local clubs
- Use of local community spaces
- Low costs & low commitment
IMPACT: Project reached over 50 women and girls who were predominantly inactive and attended at least 1 session
30 women and girls were retained over the course of the sessions.
FUTURE PLANS: Feedback from participants highlighted longer session to 1 and ½ hour session was preferred
Sports Key aims to upskill a committed participant from the session & support them to qualify as a netball coach to sustain the delivery of sessions
- Taster sessions before the start of the project provides a good estimate of interest and possible attendances
- Marketing of sessions specific to complete beginners & those who haven't played for many years
- Key messages around 'Keep Fit' + 'Losing weight' worked well for this particular audience
- Open sessions to attend with friends & family - reinforced with a 'recommend a friend' offer where players received a free T-shirt
- Promotion through a range of social media outlets was positive & simple to interact with those attending
Breaking Boundaries with Nana Kwame Ankomah and Muhammad Mailk TKO Boxing Barking and Dagenham
We speak to Nana Kwame Ankomah and Muhammad Malik our Barking and Dagenham...
Sporting Equals partner with Comic Relief and NET to support BAME-led organisations worst hit by Covid-19
Sporting Equals Partner with Sport England to support Tackling Inequalities Fund Distribution
Breaking Boundaries with Rob Deeks and Aik Saath
Today we speak to Rob Deeks from Breaking Boundaries' partner community...
Breaking Boundaries in Barking and Dagenham with Aidan Elmore!
We speak to Breaking Boundaries local Ambassador Aidan Elmore about the...
How Breaking Boundaries host Edgbaston Foundation has helped to #FeedBirmingham
Birmingham's Breaking Boundaries host, Edgbaston Foundation partnered with...
Prize Draw Terms and Conditions Golf Survey
CEO Statement: Racism in the Sport Sector
Our CEO - Arun Kang OBE reflects on the initial findings of our racism in sport...
CEO Sporting Equals Statement: Equality of Opportunity in the Sport Sector
Our CEO Arun Kang OBE, explores the lack of equality of opportunity in the...
CEO Arun Kang OBE Statement on Intersectionality
Given our recent statement for 20% BAME leadership targets in sport. We wanted...
Densign White Statement on BAME Leadership in Sport
We speak to Densign White - Former Chair British Judo, Chair Sporting Equals...
Arun Kang OBE Statement on BAME Leadership in Sport
Our CEO Arun Kang OBE reflects on the persistent issue of racial bias and...