Sporting Equals latest case study - Netball
Sports Key is a community interest group which aims to put provision in place for people from disadvantaged communities to excel in sport.
This project was successful in enabling inactive women predominately from BME Black and Minority Ethnic) backgrounds to become more active.
- 90% of women taking part were from BME backgrounds aged between 19-50 years of age
- Many women were beginners at netball, the majority had not engaged since their school years
- To ensure participants had the best introduction or re-introduction the coach identified a qualified England Netball coach, was able to relate to this community & positively interact
- Hesitant to join local clubs
- Use of local community spaces
- Low costs & low commitment
IMPACT: Project reached over 50 women and girls who were predominantly inactive and attended at least 1 session
30 women and girls were retained over the course of the sessions.
FUTURE PLANS: Feedback from participants highlighted longer session to 1 and ½ hour session was preferred
Sports Key aims to upskill a committed participant from the session & support them to qualify as a netball coach to sustain the delivery of sessions
- Taster sessions before the start of the project provides a good estimate of interest and possible attendances
- Marketing of sessions specific to complete beginners & those who haven't played for many years
- Key messages around 'Keep Fit' + 'Losing weight' worked well for this particular audience
- Open sessions to attend with friends & family - reinforced with a 'recommend a friend' offer where players received a free T-shirt
- Promotion through a range of social media outlets was positive & simple to interact with those attending
British Sport United in Gratitude
Sporting Equals shed some light on the upcoming 'Thank You Day' plans from the...
Introducing the new Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community Coordinator programme Matthew Youngson
We sit down with the new Community Coordinator for Manchester Matthew Youngson
Introducing our new Sporting Equals Activator for Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries programme Janine Palm
We sit down with Janine Palm the new Sporting Equals Activator for the Barking...
Introducing our new Sporting Equals Activator for Bradford Breaking Boundaries programme Taj Butt
Introducing our New Sporting Equals Activator Taj Butt, for the Bradford...
Introducing our New Sporting Equals Activator for Birmingham Breaking Boundaries - Juliet Bertie
We sit down with Juliet Bertie the new Sporting Equals Activator for the...
COVID-19 pandemic significantly increases physical activity disparities amongst ethnically diverse communities
Sporting Equals Impact Report 2020-2021
Links to all versions of the Sporting Equals Impact Report 2020-2021
A look back on 2020 with Omair Shah, Al Madina Mosque, a Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries community partner
Looking back on Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries delivery in 2020 with...
Ravinder Dharni, Bradford shares his thoughts on the Breaking Boundaries delivery in 2020
We hear this week from one of the Breaking Boundaries community partners...
Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries Community Coordinator Sam Bickmore looks back at delivery in 2020
A look back on Barking & Dagenham Breaking Boundaries programme in 2020 with...
Sporting Equals Race Equality Event Links to Watch Back
Race Equality: State of the Sector, is Sporting Equals' annual event for those...
Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community partner Sri Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara
Manchester Breaking Boundaries Community partner Sri Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara...