British Weight Lifting - Head of Events
|Location||Head Office, Leeds|
|Hours of Work|
|Salary & Benefits||The starting salary for the position will be circa £30,000-£35,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Salaries are reviewed each year in April.|
|Closing Date||20 Apr|
About British Weight Lifting
As the UK's recognised Governing Body for weightlifting and para-powerlifting and our role is to inspire a nation of weight lifters and para-powerlifters through exceptional leadership and expertise. We are responsible for the growth and success of weightlifting and para-powerlifting at every level. Our work sees us support a network of weight lifting bodies, clubs and gyms across the UK, as well as the thousands of people actively involved in Olympic and Paralympic weight lifting disciplines. We strive to deliver exceptional training programmes, educational structures and competitions that create opportunities for individuals to participate and excel in our sport.
Main purpose of the Job:
To drive forward the development and delivery of an innovative, inspiring, diverse and inclusive national competition portfolio to reach and engage with a wide audience.
To oversee all aspects of BWL events to ensure high quality competitions are delivered to timescales and within budget.
The role is office based with some weekend travel and overnight stays to support the delivery of events.
• Provide overall management for the whole portfolio of BWL events, across weightlifting and para-powerlifting, from national championships to club competitions.
• Develop and deliver new inspiring and exciting events, both face to face and virtual, to increase overall competition entries and increase member engagement.
• Ensure effective project management plans are implemented to ensure successful and timely delivery for all events including milestone tracking, risk management, communication/branding, logistics, health & safety, venue/facility operations, supplier management, volunteer recruitment/management and sport competition management.
• Facilitate the growth of the BWL competition structure by building positive relationships with event stakeholders and strive for continuous improvement to enhance the event experience for all those who attend.
• Liaise with venues, hotel and travel providers, suppliers, technical officials, coaches, clubs and lifters in relation to the events run at national, regional and local levels.
• Manage the department budget and ensure all competitions are delivered within budget.
• Identify and maximise commercial, sponsorship and marketing opportunities from events in order to meet financial targets and contribute to operational financial sustainability.
Ensure good event governance by ensuring the accuracy of the competition rules/regulations, rankings/records, event guidance documents, schedules and accreditation requirements.
• Collaborate with stakeholders and international federations over delivery of any agreed international events.
• Build positive relationships by offering exceptional customer service and innovative solutions in order to retain member engagement and attract new competitors.
• Line manage and provide leadership to members of the Competitions and Events team.
• Continuously monitor the effectiveness of plans and track progress against KPIs through thorough and effective evaluation and reporting.
• Maintain a high-level awareness of the industry, market trends, associated organisations, products and services to facilitate the delivery of the BWL strategy.
• Support the wider business with any projects requested.
• Demonstrate commitment and behaviours in line with the BWL values.
The person specification describes the experience, qualifications, knowledge, skills and abilities that BWL are looking for.
Essential skills/experience are:
• Experience of managing sports events at national level.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal skills with an ability to build excellent relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Excellent project management, organisational and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
• Strong negotiation skills with a good knowledge of financial/budget management relating to events.
• Strong IT skills especially Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and knowledge of CRM systems.
Desirable skills/experience are:
• Experience or understanding of weightlifting and/or para-powerlifting.
• Experience of working for a national governing body.
Application and Selection Process
Please download and complete the application form from our website www.britishweightlifting.org and post it to: Sue Ward, British Weight Lifting, 1st Floor Office Suite, St Ann's Mill, Kirkstall Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS5 3AE. Alternatively you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org